Friday, December 19, 2008

The Meaning of Life

I have searched, like Solomon in the Bible, for true meaning in life- And this is what I have discovered-
As a young(er) person, I searched for the meaning of life through pleasures.
Ecc. 2:10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.
I found that to live a life only in search to satisfy myself only left me empty on the inside- restless.
I searched for meaning through things. But the problem with material things is that they never satisfy. We always seem to want more than we can have.
Ecc. 5:10 Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.
"If I just have _______________ (you can fill in the blank here) then I will be happy!"
In the past I searched for meaning in my position, my work. I worked at an upscale resort in Palm Springs and was very proud of that. I wanted to further my career in the hotel and restaurant industry because I thought that would fulfill me. The problem was that I was doing all this in hopes that it would bring me greater fulfillment. I tried to do it in my own efforts and abilities- but without God there is no lasting reward or benefit.
So what is the answer you ask to the meaning of life? Just ask Solomon in Ecclesiastes. He searched his whole life on a mission to find the answer. Solomon learned that it is empty to pursue the pleasures that this life has to offer. True meaning comes from pursuing and seeking a relationship with the one true God. The search for pleasure, wealth, and success is ultimately disappointing- If that is what you are seeking after. There is nothing in 'this world' that can satisfy the deep longings in our restless heart.
There is a God that loves you more than you can ever imagine. He desires to have a relationship with you. He doesn't care what your past looks like or the mistakes that you have made. He wants us to enjoy this life that He has made for us, living with Him- living life to it's fullest. He's waiting with open arms to be your meaning in life.
You see, nothing can ever separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38-39)

3 comments:

Tirz said...

Celeste ~ GREAT blog! Keep them coming! They are encouraging & a blessing! People need to hear the insights and wisdom that you find as you read the Word & then share with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. I was being truly honest when I asked you how you are "so happy" the other night. Now, I know why. I hope to be able to follow in your footsteps. :) I feel blessed to know you.

rebecca74 said...

I LOVE THIS!!