Monday, May 04, 2009

Workin the Temple- Idolatry or Worship?

running
Growing up in a very dysfunctional home- I did nothing to glorify God. Had not heard of Him. Obviously, did not know Him. I definitely didn't do anything to glorify God with my body. In those younger years of my life, my body was nothing more than a tool. A tool to lure and control. To give me power or remain powerless.
As I walk this crazy, fun, sometimes chaotic life with Jesus, I am truly wanting to glorify Him with all I say and do. 1 Cor. 6:19-20 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
I have to tell you, I have always enjoyed working out. My dad got me my first weight bench when I was 16 years old. And I use to run in High School. Whenever things got too much at home, I felt like I could run a million miles. And fast too! But the weight of the world was too much to bear, and having a mom who did not believe in me took it's toll. I did not pursue anything more and stopped running.
Then, I got married and had children. Three of them. And working out was no longer a priority in my life. It just didn't seem to fit anywhere. But now, it seems as though I am in a new faze in my life. My kids are getting bigger, and two are in school.
I have been exercising regularly for a few years now and it's just become a habit. I am not one of those super buff people with bulging muscles. No, I am a regular mom just like you. I, like most of you, have my good weeks and I have my not so good weeks.
So my question to you is, can you workout without making it similar to 'idol' worship? What do I mean? Without making it a priority over the Lord. Do I workout more than I spend time with the Lord? I always have to keep this in check. The good news is that if I ever get off balance, the Lord is gracious, and quick to bring me back to Him. He knows that I know that I can't make it without Him. I can't do anything good apart from Him. He is my everything, my confidence, my words..my everything.
At the beginning of this year, the Lord showed me that this was a year of dreams. But not just dreaming those dreams, but some of those dreams becoming a reality. Already, He has showed me how great He is. I was able to speak at the youth group for the first time in many years, I lead a Lisa Bevere Bible Study and now I have signed up for my first triathlon. All of these have been a faith walk with Him. A trust in Him. Who He is and what He says He will do.
Is it okay to pray for great workouts and runs? Absolutely! Is it okay to incorporate my workout as a worship unto the Lord. I think so. When I run and I can also be praying for people, listening to uplifting songs.
See, for too many years this body was not giving any glory the the Lord. I have decided that all I do, I will do not unto a man- but unto the Lord Jesus Christ. I want to take care of this temple, because it's not just mine anymore. Gods Holy Spirit resides within me. And I definitely want to have the strength and energy to play with my kids and someday- my grandkids! I want to take care of this body and treat it right. I plan on being around for a long time and truly enjoying this journey!
If I'm running and start to think I can't- That's when I give the Lord all the glory, because I know that through me, He can!! And on August 2nd , when I cross over that finish line, to Him be ALL the glory!!! Amen!
Today, after you've exercised those spiritual muscles, why not give those physical muscles a try too! :)
Is. 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Colossians 3:23 (New International Version)

23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men

6 comments:

Karla M Adams said...

Hey, Friend! I have shared this concern as well. After I took Beth Moore's "Daniel" I started to look at my life, my house, my cars, my fitness level, my clothes, my "kingdom that I created", and suddenly, I saw a little bit of idolatry in all of it. Could I leave it all just to follow a command of his? If He wanted me to, could I just to to a remote part of the earth and do without my workouts or my home overlooking the mountains? The more I thought about it, the stronger my answer got. Some days, I think about it less, and start to get wrapped up in everything again.

Thanks for your blog. You have great insight on this and a great way of articulating what I think a lot of us struggle with!

Celeste said...

Karla- Thank you SO much for your response! :) I totally agree with you- Could we just walk away from it all and answer whatever the call. And mostly- I would like to scream it from the rooftops, YES!!! But being human, I also find at times myself getting wrapped into things..again. Thank you again 4 sharing, be blessed! Celeste

Marissa Star said...

Great blog! Celeste I am so with you I can't even do it if God isn't BIG on the inside of me! The workout part:) I love that He has drawn out all of your desires...turned them to dreams and IS making them a reality!!! It's so Him!!! To Him be the glory!

ps. I was talking to Rebecca and was wondering if you would be interested in doing a blog network...I just love what you write and more I love your heart!
Great Love!,
~Ris

Anonymous said...

Dont forget Romans 12:1! My workout times have become some of my closest to God! I am a living sacrifice. I am being transformed by the renewing of my mind and loving that I am honoring HIm and my temple. Why does it need to be one or the other unles God Himself calls you to give it up?
Great Blog, I will be back!
Roxanne

Celeste said...

Marissa- thank you for always being such an encourager!! You rock sister!!

Roxanne- I agree with 100%! Preach it sister! We are truly a living sacrifice! Love the scripture also. Thanks 4 your words and for stopping by! Hope to see you again :}

Denique said...

I am always speechless, after I read your stuff! You are so good and I am so glad to have such an amazing person in my life!!